A commercial lawyer with a focus on IT transactions and emerging technologies, Simon is head of the firm's technology group and also a member of Stephenson Harwood's international data protection practice.
Simon advises on data protection compliance, cyber security, as well as privacy issues relating to new disruptive technologies such as AI and machine learning. His expertise covers a wide range of data protection issues, from data transfers to the regulatory considerations for new disruptive technology such as automated facial recognition. He also advises on cyber security, and the containment and reporting of cyber incidents and personal data breaches.
In addition to his data protection practice, Simon regularly advises on software licensing, complex IT and managed services arrangements, BPO/IT outsourcings, and systems integration and digital transformation projects.
- Advising one of the world’s largest technology companies on the privacy and other regulatory considerations in relation to the development, deployment and licensing of facial recognition technology.
- Providing strategic advice to a listed tech company on managing the fall-out of multiple cyber-attacks and personal data breaches. This included advising senior stakeholders on the identification and containment of the incidents, engaging with forensic IT specialists, preparing internal and external comms, and drafting ICO notifications.
- Advising a US based global tech company on the extra-territorial application of the GDPR, undertaking an in-depth analysis of its data flows and international transfers, and drafting its standard privacy terms and internal policy documentation.
- Advising a UK listed global technology consulting company on its data protection compliance programme, including on its appointment of a group DPO, international data transfers and drafting policies, templates and standard terms.
- Advising a number of leading global accountancy firms (including from the Big Four) on GDPR compliance, including drafting standard data protection terms and templates, and advising on intra-group data transfers.
Simon… can be relied upon to cut to the heart of issues and come up with pragmatic, solution orientated suggestions.